Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Not a Quilt

Monday week ago I spent nearly all day in my studio, something I hadn't really ever done before. Have to say, that was pretty fun. :-)

With adding in gardening responsibilities, I rearranged my weekly schedule.  I also wanted to move my stamping to another day because the previous schedule made it hard to get to.  So yesterday I spent the morning working on quilts.  After lunch I worked on some general sewing and then worked on Christmas cards.

General sewing is also a task I have had a hard time getting to as well, not being inclined to use my quilting time for such.  Quilt…sew, quilt….mend, hmmm, let me think.  Yep, quilting won every time.  

As I have mentioned in my posts on organizing, time is like space.  Picture the week as a closet with seven shelves.  How much stuff is put on those shelves and how it is arranged can make for a peaceful, effective schedule or it can make for chaos.  So, for me at least, I have found that if I don't have a space on the shelf for an activity, it just never gets done.  If I try to cram too much onto a shelf, I get stressed.  I want to be steadily busy, but not start the day running and hope I keep up. Some days end up being like that, even with planning, but planning helps make them happen occasionally rather than constantly.  

So, now I have time in the schedule for general sewing, and my first projects were some clothes adjustments.  Being a person on the short side, hemming is just something I plan to do when I buy clothes, so that was first up on my to-dos.  Next up was finding a way to adjust some pants that were basically new, but were now a size too big.  Mulled over ideas and talked it over with my younger daughter, a graduate in fashion design.  Decided on trying to insert some elastic in the waistband and had good success with that.  Finally, needing a belt for some other pants that tended to be a little on the loose-side, I took sturdy ribbon I had in my miscellaneous stash and made a belt.  



I would still rather quilt though…..   


No comments:

Post a Comment