Wednesday, November 5, 2014

An Unexpected Find

A few weeks ago we were trying to make some room in one of the cabinets at my quilt group.  I pulled out what looked like a green suitcase and asked what it was.  "An old sewing machine," was the reply.  I opened it up and there was a Bernina 730 Record.  My eyes got big, and since no one uses it, suggested that we could sell it and have the church put the money in our group's budget.  

I brought it home to see what condition it was in.  It was missing all the accessories except the basic straight stitch/zigzag foot that was on it.  The machine was in good shape and ran well, but the foot control would hesitate and then go too fast, making it hard to control the sewing speed.  I seriously considered buying it myself, but after doing some research online, saw that it would be difficult and expensive to replace the foot control.  

Still, Grandma Bernie, as I dubbed her, is a really neat machine and I will be sorry to let her go.  They just don't make machines like that anymore, sadly.




No comments:

Post a Comment