Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Restart

I am not a plant person.  My parents and my brother have lovely green thumbs, but that gene pretty much skipped me.  However, the one botanical endeavor I am willing put time and energy into is a vegetable garden. 

Years ago, my husband and I lived in a more rural area and we planted our first vegetable garden. And I learned to can green beans and tomatoes, make pickles and plum butter, and gained a great appreciation for all the work my ancestors did just to keep food in the pantry.  I also learned that, like making bread, seeing a row of jars of home-canned goods can be very satisfying.  Having said that, it is more of a been there, done that experience that I am not particularly interesting in taking on again.  

A few years ago, we decided to do another garden--small, just enough for two.  We planted tomatoes, green beans, squash, and peppers with varying success.  This was during my food journey, and I learned that most of the above were things I couldn't eat anyway.  With my husband's work schedule being what it is, most of the upkeep of the garden fell to me, and after a couple of seasons, we decided to let the garden space hibernate for a while.  

In the past month or so, though, I had an urge to get things started again, this time with a good handle on what foods are good for me.  My dear hubby gallantly scraped off the wood chips we had covered the garden with to hold back erosion and turned the soil. 
Then he worked in the mulch from our grass clippings.
We made a trip to the nursery and came home with all my greens for a winter garden and planted them together.  That was fun! :-)

Now it is up to me to keep things going, but it is a lovely feeling to see the garden planted again.  We will see how it goes….


No comments:

Post a Comment